Your garage door is the largest moving part of your home. It is liable to keep your home and belongings safe and secure. Study shows that, 50% of homeowners don’t pay much heed towards the maintenance of their garage doors. They ignore it until some serious issue arises. However, like other mechanical devices, your door also needs maintenance. So, it is vital to inspect your door twice a year to prevent any kind of inconvenient issues from occurring.
Have a look at some important tips to avoid expensive repairs down the line.
- Regular cleaning of the door with water, detergent and sponge in necessary. Use a hose to wash it properly.
- Visually inspect your door twice a month to identify any broken rollers, rusted bottom brackets and frayed cables. It helps you replace the damaged or broken parts in a timely manner.
- Use a socket wrench to tighten all the loose nuts and bolts on the tracks. Tightening the nuts and bolts can be a little complex for the people having little to zero knowledge of the mechanism of the garage door. So, it is better to contact a professional garage door technician for assistance.
- Make sure your door is well-balanced. If it appears to be out of balance, call a professional to improve the condition of your overhead garage door.
- It is essential to test the electric opener of the garage door. The reverse mechanism can be checked by placing a piece of 2 x 4 board in the center of the opening. After sensing the object, the door should reverse. If it does not, then it should be fixed as soon as possible.
- Every homeowner should invest on an overhead door opener that features electric photo eye safety beams. They are mounted a few inches above the floor. They are meant to send an invisible beam across the door’s path. If the invisible beam is damaged or misaligned, the door will automatically reverse. This feature is designed to offer extra safety and security to you and your family.
- Always lubricate all the moving parts of the door with high quality lubricant. This will keep them smooth and operational for years to come.
These simple tips will help maintain the optimal condition of your garage door. For professional assistance you can contact our technicians at Value Garage Doors in Mississauga. All our technicians provide effective and durable solutions that you can cherish for years to come.